Places to Stay
For better or worse, I like to try different types of places to stay. Sometimes it’s a regrettable choice, but most often I find a treasure. I don’t think luxury is always the most expensive hotel in a city or the most famous. It’s important to look for the innovative, historic and/or unusual. Neighborhoods are important to consider.
One of my favorite stays ever was in the former hacienda used by the archeologists who excavated the Chichén Itzá site on the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico. I’ve also stayed in some bizarre accommodations including a B&B in Vermont that seemed like it was a set (and cast) for a horror movie. But sometimes the worst places make the best memories and isn’t that what travel is all about?
- Get the Royal Treatment in Ireland (link to post)
- 2 Hotels in India Where Adventure Meets Luxury (link to post)
- Where to Stay on a First-Class Kentucky Bourbon Tour (link to post)
- Favorite Instagrammable Hotel Pool (link to post)
- 5 Historic Hotels Southerners Love (link to post)
- Outstanding Hotel Experiences for the Non-guest (link to post)
- Best Hotels Near European Train Stations (link to post)