A Quick Trip to Bimini.
Bimini is the closest Bahama Island to Florida – about 51 miles away. We’d heard about the new high-speed ferry and thought we’d give it a try for a quick day-trip to the island. It’s two hours each way and leaves from the Port of Miami. As my husband said this was a “one & done”, we won’t be doing this again, but we did have fun checking it all out and spending the day with good friends.
Here is what you need to know:
- The ferry is absolutely freezing (they say it helps reduce seasickness); I am not exaggerating, take a blanket.
- Maybe it helps to keep it cold, but people were still sick. Take meds in advance like we did and you should be OK. There was a large carton of motion sickness packets at the boarding gate – but it was empty.
- Get a golf cart so you can drive around, they have 2 and 4-seaters and even some 6; it will set you back $50 for the day.
- Resort has a small casino, it is closed during most weekdays.
- There is no straw at the Straw Market.
- Eat some conch salad – it will be good, conch fritters not so great. We had a nice lunch at the Big Game Club, one of Hemingway’s former hangouts.
- Check out the Dolphin House Museum, it was charming; a work of love and tribute by a local craftsman/poet.
- Trash cans on the island all seem to be from Miami-Dade?
- If you do go by ferry, get a discount ticket on Groupon; a business class ticket will buy you a snack and drink along with your ticket.
- On the ferry you can book water activities through the Resorts World Bimini & they do sell snacks, coffee and soft drinks to everyone on board.
- Be sure to take your passport.
- Divers wold enjoy the options here, for everyone else a few hours is enough.
- Enjoy the views of the beautiful turquoise Caribbean waters.